Brianna's Buddies
A Sister's Love
On September 21st, 2004, at the age of 18 months, Brianna was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblast Leukemia (ALL).  For the next three years, Brianna went through numerous surgeries, such as a broviac line which led straight to her heart, blood transfusions, and heavy doses of chemotherapy.  March of 2007, she was released into remission and had finished all of her treatments.  At that point she had once a week blood draws and checkups.  She had good days and bad days during her course of remission but over all she was feeling great, until October of 2009 when she was once again losing her health.  On January 23rd, 2009, she had completely relapsed and she started her treatments all over again.  She had to go through basically the same surgeries and such.  She was in need of a bone marrow transplant, and the whole family was tested for a match.  Cheyenne, her sister, twelve years old at the time, was the closet match and was therefore chosen to be her donor.  This time she had three lines to her heart instead of one.  The chemotherapy was a lot more severe, and she had intensive body radiation two times a day for a full week.
The transplant took place on May 14th, 2009.  At this point Brianna was in Roswell from January until the doctors were ready to release her, and Cheyenne was in and out for testing.  On the morning of May 14th, Cheyenne was was brought in to begin the procedure.  She was released that day while Brianna remained in Roswell.  For a few days after the transplant, Cheyenne was home from school and was very sore.  For the rest of the school year she was excused from her gym classes for it took about six months for her to completely recover.  For the next six weeks, Brianna remained in Roswell where she went through a small amount of rejection to the marrow, pain, nausea, weakness and she was unable to eat.  Also, she had to go through physical therapy.  When she was finally released, she had may restrictions such as certain foods she couldn't eat, and places she couldn't go because of germs.  She was in and out of Roswell until Thanksgiving with blood infections and rejection problems.  She continually improved and now after her one year anniversary of the transplant, she is off all of her medications and is free of all restrictions.  She is back in school full time, and only goes to Roswell for check-ups.  She is happier than ever and doing extremely well.
Go to our Facebook page for current events